Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Grandma Jean's Chocolate Chip Cookies



I've always lived far far away from my Grams, but she made it feel like we were so close. There was always something in the mail: cards, letters, small puzzles, pressed flowers, a comic strip clipped out of the paper, lace edged handkerchiefs, and once in a great while, a box of home made cookies.

Her chocolate chip cookies were superb, like none other. I thought it might all be in my head, since Grams made these, they just HAD to taste better than any other cookie. I never thought to ask why.

One day, my aunt handed me the recipe card. I had not asked for it, she just thought it was important enough to hand down - thank god she had the presence of mind to pass down a recipe I didn't even know I needed. As I glanced through the ingredient list it was as if the heavens opened and a glorious beam of radiance filled the kitchen, along with the chorus of angels. Grams chocolate chip cookie recipe was indeed different from all other I had ever known - she made her cookies with pudding. My god. Pudding in a cookie. Genius!

Of course she would want me to put my own spin on it, so I've experimented all around and my favorite alternate mix is using chocolate pudding with walnuts seasoned with cinnamon and chili powder.

Grandma Jean's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4c. flour 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 c. butter, softened 
1/4 c. white sugar 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1 tsp. vanilla 
1-4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding 
2 eggs 
1 pkg. choc. chips 
Cream butter and sugars together. Blend in eggs, vanilla, soda, and pudding.Then, mix in flour. After well blended fold in the chips. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min.




No comments:

Post a Comment